1. Text to see how their day is going. It’s nice to know someone cares, even if mostly what you did was stare off into space, fax a boring document, and perpetually type through your day at the office. Many of us have pretty normal, mundane days so we can pay the bills. It takes some digging to bring out our more interesting selves, our hobbies, our friends, and our weird ideas that wouldn’t fit in a business meeting.
2. When you’ve hung out with each other and you like it, let them know through a text that you had fun… and would be interested in hanging out again sometime.
3. Give them compliments — shoot for how attractive they are or what a great personality they have.
4. Text things to have fun! If you seem more like you can go on about unicorns and rainbows than tax returns, you might be able to keep the text exchange going longer. Feel the texting out; different people have different preferences. Some might think you are strange to mention unicorns, or childish. Others will be delighted by your flirting skills.
5. Text to initiate hanging out.
6. Ask questions. Don’t ask anything too in depth, save that for in person. Ask questions about their day, if they like pasta, when they think they’ll be free, etc.
7. Use texting to bring up random occurring happy events in your life. If you just passed by something crazy — like a man dressed as a shark being chased by a pack of dogs — that’s something you should text. This kind of stuff tends to make people happy, unless they are more serious. Do you want to date someone so serious that a text about a man dressed as a shark being chased by canines wouldn’t give them even a smirk?
8. When they’re sick, ask them if you can help in anyway. You could bring them soup, take them to the doctor, cuddle with them, put on a puppet show, or read them their favorite book. Also, just sit outside their door and wait for them to stop being so sick. Caution: some people might find that scary or intimidating.
9. Text them to let them know you’ve been thinking about them, why you like them, and when you miss them.
10. Good morning and goodnight. Sometimes it’s really cute to get a good morning text and know the other person is thinking about you bright and early in the day. Just don’t overdo it. Change things up!